Friday, July 29, 2011

Japanese Cooking

A while back, my friend Ronna and her daughter Sara-chan came over for a Japanese food lesson by my mother (I am so lucky to have her as my mother, she is the best cook!!)  Ronna had been wanting to learn how to make "korrokke," the Japanese version of croquettes.  It is a typical Japanese home dish which is a very popular among children and men (why do men love anything that's deep-fried?). Just like the French version, it is usually a cylinder shape, with mashed potatoes, meat, and vegetables inside, deep fried with bread crumbs. We eat it with Tonkatsu-sauce, which is a type of sauce made from vegetables, fruit, and spices. It goes so well with rice...I am getting hungry just thinking about it!!!!

We also made "Chirashi-zushi," a type of cake sushi.

Yuuki loves Sara-chan and he goes to hug her all the time....! He's in for a tight competition, though, since Sara-chan has lots of "boy" friends.

Ronna and I met so randomly, in a baby diaper station at Tokyu department store in Shibuya. Since then we've become friends and I love watching Yuuki and Sara-chan play.

I hope we can share each other's culture like this more with other foreign mothers in Japan, too.