Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Eating

I had been struggling with Yuuki's feeding for a couple of months now. He seems to have a narrow throat and used to get food stuck or not be able to swallow certain foods. Also, he likes to play with his food rather than eat it, and his attention goes towards gadgets and machines rather than food at all. I would try my best to make a perfectly delicious meal and have him spit it out or throw it around or ignore it all together. He also hates to sit in one place, so he would climb out of his chair which made it very difficult to feed him. It was very stressful and depressing, especially because my sister's little baby, Sosuke, LOVES to eat and he would eat anything like a grown up boy.

Lately, though, with the help of Mizuki, Yuuki has been sitting and eating. I cannot believe how much he is eating now compared to just a month ago. We have been trying to stay on a strict feeding schedule, and divided responsibilities. I would be in charge of cooking, and Mizuki would be in charge of feeding.

It seems this is working because Mizuki does not have the stress of "why won't you eat, I made such a good meal for you...!!!" He can be calm and closely observe how Yuuki eats and how he wants to be fed instead of how I want him to eat.

I can also concentrate on cooking good food with plenty of "Dashi" (a umami=taste factor) which babies love. They can really taste the difference between food that has umami or not. Him eating more motivates me to cook better food instead of thinking, "well he won't eat anyway so I will just make it simple". We have made a good spiral that works.

Now that Yuuki has gotten used to eating, he finishes his dinner even without daddy! It was just Yuuki and I yesterday, but he sat in his chair and finished his entire dinner!!! Good job, mommy and Yuuki!


Dinner completed!!!! Rice with chirimen-jako, pumpkin soup, koya-tofu no nimono.
Lots of nutrients!